PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LCY Remote Tower
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2020, 11:42
eglnyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.and with what logic?
Remote Towers is an emerging technology so you'll need a partner with expertise on call, willing to make some of their own investment in the remote part, ability to train and rate ATC staff and with access to a suitable site with the necessary network connectivity and security. ANS, through their parent company if necessary, have access to the first three and would probably be willing to set up the last as part of an attempt to enter that market in the UK. There is one other organisation in the UK that fits the bill but if you want it on the cheap you might want to be the launch customer for the market incomer.

Remote radar is far less demanding technology wise and well established with far more options but if I was placing an ATC contract for my soon to re-open airport I'd want a single contract with one supplier.

Of course if I was soon to re-open an airport in this market I'd probably not be throwing a lot of money at capital investment in a brand new remote tower unless either the physical tower needed a lot of money to return it to use or there was a significant incentive and that is definitely beancounter territory.