PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Length of Full Commercial Pilot Training?
Old 17th Aug 2020, 09:29
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icelanta
If you are happy to just know the minimum required by the regulator, then fine. But some are eager to have superiour knowledge compared to the bare minimum required and prefer not to just learn the questionbank ( they should eliminate that) by heart.

staring at a whiteboard? No, but we had orals, internal exams ( fail and you are a gonner by the way) ,essays, had to explain topics to the whole promotion,... the current requirements are a sad joke.
I agree that most people do want extra knowledge, I would hope that people willing to go through so much training would naturally want to learn as much as they can. Most people once they’re flying will spend hours prepping before sims, reading around the aircraft etc. But that is actually relevant.

But when it comes to ATPL theory, it just doesn’t help you when you’re in an airline, being unbelievable at drawing lines on polar stereographic maps isn’t going to help you on a four sector day.

And most face to face groundschool is done by schools on a full time basis, usually over six months. What your proposing would look like this:

’Hi training school, I’d look to do your groundschool course please, how long will it take’

’Well, provided you put the work in and don’t have too many issues, should take about six months’

’Oh, I’m actually after something of at least a year’

’Even if you pass all the exams to a high standard as required by the regulator, get good marks and have a good understanding of the material?’

’No I still absolutely want to train for twelve months’

’So you want to watch all your course mates go on to flying and start working six months earlier than you? Yet you’d rather shell out another few thousand to re-cover material you’ve already got strong pass marks in and have absolutely no further practical use for and delay your career by six months?’

’Yes.’

The school will look at you like you’ve got 2 heads. They’ll take your money (why wouldn’t they) but you’ll be on your own and be the first and last person to do something so bizarre.