PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spare some outback/remote flying tips for a beginner?
Old 17th Aug 2020, 05:17
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Congratulate yourself that you found that pimple in the middle of a featureless plain by good navigation and rigorous track/heading keeping. Very important pre-takeoff, set that blood gyro! Once in the air and about to depart have an idea where the sun should be in relation to your departure track and ensure you set your departure heading ACCURATELY asap because there are minimal features that relate to the WAC and it could be a good while before you relate the WAC to a feature on the ground..NEVER TRUST THE MAGENTA LINE until you are sure you have set the correct destination...the bit about the Sun will help you if you forget this...A wise old Cunnamulla flyer bashed my ears on this very subject....and we were in a KingAir at the time!

Be very prepared for absolute **** visibility in smoke/haze. In most of the inland (Especially anywhere in QLD west of the range), if you get ABV100 you will invariably get above the inversion layer and it into clear air with no turbulence...just remember that all that **** below you makes it difficult to pinpoint features. Having said that, the higher you get the more realistic the WAC looks. Me is a very low time PPL but I spent too much time in the back of Codd Air's B65s wandering around western QLD flying into and out of rough strips graded specially for crew change. (Please excuse the link to Airhistory and credit to David Carter in advance)......

.....One important thing. NEVER allow anyone else to load your aircraft. The guys I worked for managed to overload the nose locker of this particular Queenie with drill bits that would have been ..um..interesting if not caught early.