PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2020, 01:26
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see the problem with flying 'through' the FD in the short term. The FD tells you where you need to be to follow the current settings on the FCU. However, if those settings are no longer valid, and PM is busy with an important task; then I will fly a different heading and ignore the heading bar of the FD while still following the pitch bar

Isn't that getting a bit "gimmicky" flying 'through' the FD? Either use it properly when needed for guidance or switch it out of sight. There are times when pilots want an uncluttered artificial horizon. Recovering from an unusual attitude in IMC is one such example.

Already the borders of the PFD are surrounded by a plethora of information. Some pilots have no trouble ignoring unwanted FD indications. Others can be seriously distracted by the waving needles. The problem being that flight directors tend to encourage tunnel vision as after all the aim is to keep the needles centred on one tiny spot.on the dial.

I recently talked to a F/O of a Middle Eastern A330 airline where company SOP mandates engagement of the autopilot at 500 ft after take off. From then on it would be left engaged (no hand flying permitted) until 300 ft on final approach even if fully visual. On this occasion he was safety F/O in the jump seat while a new F/O was undergoing line training. During one final approach in CAVOK the new F/O switched off the AP at 1000 ft on final to fly the remainder of the approach manually.

The captain instantly demanded the autopilot be re-engaged since the company SOP required 300 ft for disengagement. The startled F/O under training fiddled around and managed to re-engage the autopilot. A few seconds later as the aircraft passed through 300 ft, the captain announced "NOW you can disengaged the autopilot."

Apparently the captain was worried the QAR would pick up the autopilot disengagement at 1000 ft which was contrary to the company SOP and he would be hauled up to please explain.
With some airlines, common sense is thrown out of the window to satisfy the Gods of SOP. And that happens in so many other aspects of flight deck operation.