PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2020, 22:47
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
Kay Pam
Why don't you give yourself time? If you start judging procedures as right or wrong.without much experience then you will build anti mind set There are personality types that hinder decision making and one of them is Anti Authority i.e. Don't Tell me. As they say SOPs are written in blood at least some of them. Clarifying your doubts is OK but every guy out of flying school brings new ideas then it will be chaotic. Just give yourself time it will work out by itself.
Raising a question in the way the topic starter did is, IMHO, still not sufficient grounds to get worried about their anti-authoritarian attitude. He's made it clear that he does and will follow the rules even if he doesn't like them. From that point, any discussion is welcome and should be encouraged as long as the suggestions remain as suggestions only until they are reviewed by the flight ops management and implemented into the SOP if found reasonable. It's good to see people put some thought into the reasoning behind what they do rather than follow orders blindly and with no clue as to why.

Questionable items in the SOP will always be a thing. One example which caused a lot of controversy amongst colleagues in an airline I used to work for was why the PF was not required to hand over the controls for the approach briefing. And, when the matter was voiced appropriately, the DFO gave a really good explanation which ended the dispute once and forever. The reason was that, in this way, the PF effectively remained head-up and monitoring the flight path while briefing the approach from the ND. And it was much better than the PM having the controls while being focused on his tablet to cross-check the arrival against the chart. Once people understood that, nobody said anything against it ever again. So, a little discussion may often be useful to resolve any questionable matters. Certainly better than people quietly doing their own thing while nobody is watching.