PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Dutch using digger to lift RAF WW2 plane despite anger"
Old 16th Aug 2020, 18:05
Banana Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
It's in pieces all over the ocean and has been there for over 75 years - with luck this will give closure to some failies (tho I doubt there are many or any people around who remebr the crew personally).

the Dutch have a great record of doing this sort of thing properly
I too support the Dutch operation to recover parts of this Downham Market Stirling.

Some years ago, whilst still serving, I had the privilege to attend a ceremony commemorating the crash of a 12(B) Sqn Lancaster in the Dutch town of Dronten. It was a very moving evening ceremony; I was particularly touched by the involvement of the Dutch youth in proceedings. Each of the 7 crew killed were named and marked by a teenager laying a bouquet beside a salvaged Lancaster propeller. I often wonder how many British teenagers would be so keen to remember a WW2 crash in a British town.

So, perhaps we should be more understanding of our Dutch friends and their kindness in remembering our fallen aviators...whatever technique they judge as the best way forward.

BB