PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vitrectomy
Thread: Vitrectomy
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2020, 17:07
nonsense

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by a5in_the_sim
Anyone have any experience of vitrectomy surgery, in particular post operative recovery and Class 1 renewal?
No pilots licence or medical, but I had a vitrectomy in about 1996 following cataract surgery (early 1992), posterior capsulotomy (~1993) and detached retina (two surgeries a week apart) 6 weeks before the end of my engineering degree in early 1995. All in my dominant eye naturally.

The guy who did the vitrectomy sent me on my way with advice that all went well, that I should have no further complications, and (tongue in cheek) that I should avoid ophthalmologists in future. Twenty five years later at age 57 my vision in the affected eye is still excellent, though with zero accommodation of course due to the pseudophakic (perspex, fixed focus) lens installed to replace my natural lens in 1991.

So I can't advise regarding an aviation medical, but from an end users point of view, so to speak, recovery from vitrectomy was prompt and outcome was excellent, and I've had no further surgeries of any kind on my eyes. Yes, with the help of an excellent optometrist I met in primary school almost 50 years ago, I've avoided ophthalmologists since being told to.