PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do ? (5)
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2020, 16:57
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
What would you do ? (5)

The hardest and most complex situation I ever had to deal with was during what started out as pressurization test flight after maintenance on a Cessna 421C about 20 years ago. The airplane was new to the current owner and had proved to be a maintenance nightmare. The previous owner had not only skimped on repairs but had performed negative maintenance ( eg disabling warning systems by cutting wires rather then repairing the failed sensor). The weather at my home airport (sea level long runway with ILS approach) was 400 and 3 wind calm. I was in solid cloud from 400 ft to 7000ft and then broke out into clear conditions. Climbing trough about 8000 there was a very loud bang, a bright flash from behind the right side CB panel and a sizzling sound and strong electrical burning smell. I immediately turned off the battery master and alternator switches and got out the fire extinguisher.

When it became apparent that there was no fire I took stock of the situation. Almost every CB was popped so there was no obvious item that started the cascading failure. The airplane had an Electric AC powered Attitude Indicator and HSI and a 28 volt turn and bank on the left side all of which were not powered with the battery master off. It did not have co-pilot gyro instruments. Other than the electrical issue the airplane was operating normally

What t would you do ?