PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 75th Anniversary of VJ Day
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2020, 14:09
WB627

Received 43 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergerie1
ancientaviator62,

I don't know the provenance of this source, but it was certainly my understanding that the POWs were to be killed if allied forces landed on the main islands of Japan.
Taiwan Documents - Order to flee, Order to kill all POWs

I understand both sides of the argument and, as horrible as the use of the atom bomb was, I believe less people (Japanese included) died as a result than would have been the case had conventional weapons been used.

And please, everyone, don't attack me because I expressed that view. I am no supporter of nuclear weapons (quite the reverse), but perhaps they did end WW2 with less slaughter and perhaps they also saved us from WW3.
Frankly, I am grateful for the dropping of the atom bombs, horrible as the effects on those nearby were. I also understand that it saved many lives, both allied and Japanese. The Japanese could have surrendered after the first bomb, the writing was on the wall, and saved those who died at Nagasaki.

My father had not long been awarded his wings and would no doubt have been posted to the pacific, if the war had continued for much longer. My father in law, was on embarkation leave from 619 squadron, prior to departure to the far east. He married my mother in law on August 6th, only to be immediately recalled and miss his honeymoon.

I suspect that there was a good chance that neither would have survived, if we had to fight the Japanese to their last man standing.

My wife's uncle had just turned 19 when he was killed in Burma. Although he was from Anglesey, he was a Private in the Devonshire regiment and having no known grave, is remembered on the Rangoon Memorial and Exeter Cathederal.