PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2020, 11:15
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been told that businesses wishing to send their staff abroad are facing a massive hike in the cost of insuring them against contracting Covid-19. You cannot check out new suppliers, ensure good working practices are being maintained by suppliers, or a vast plethora of other tasks that involve staff members having to travel. Once an effective vaccine is rolled out, I can see a sudden exponential growth. Brilliant news for airlines, as supply and demand would dictate excellent yields. The pent up demand by then will be massive. Trying to forecast demand and the agility to move capacity rapidly as lockdowns around the globe occur will dictate the survival of the fittest. By far the greatest challenge for any government will be to prevent a second wave. Winter as we all know is the time when viruses love to transfer from their hosts. If any industry needs enduring support, it is the travel and hospitality sector. Without such support, I suspect wholesale redundancies from November 1st. I don't think anyone can really predict what aviation will look like in the UK 12 months from now? My own guess would be that if slots become available in substantial quantity at Heathrow and Gatwick next Spring, could we see the resident airlines prepared to switch capacity away from Luton if the price is right? If I was LBC, I'd have a Plan B in my back pocket.