PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2020, 03:09
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roj approved
Yes, the yoke was a pain in the ass, a side stick (and table) would have made it “almost” perfect.

One of the best things was the full-size screen for the checklist, so much easier to use visually than the little screen on the Airbus. Attaching all the “STATUS” items to the Descent/Approach checklist was really good too, so when you started a NNC you worked it all the way to the end and then it was “Complete”, back to Normal Ops. Then do all your normal landing prep, do the checklist and it’s all done👍 (No need to write little reminder notes, LDR, Vref + etc, maybe that’s why they didn’t put a table in?&#128514

They still missed the boat in a few areas because of “Commonality” issues with the earlier aircraft and the need to keep it similar to the 777, it was also very nice to Hand fly, and having a HUD on both sides made Low Vis super easy.

Mostly, everything was just a simplified version of what we know on the A320. But I believe the 330 and all that came after it were a generational improvement too. I imagine the A350 is pretty slick.
Thanks for all that. The 350 indeed looks pretty slick. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos. It’s a bit disappointing to see the improvements Boeing has made to the 737 displays over 4 generations, and then see that Airbus has stuck with the same basic 1980’s display design for the 320. The LCDs are a big improvement over the CRTs though. I’ll give them that much.