PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2020, 22:19
gearlever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotLZ
gearlever, it sounds like in your company the PM sets up the FCU without command from the PF when the PF is flying manually? This actually makes a lot of sense.

Further to the topic of PM workload, one more factor to consider is the MCDU. At my present carrier, even with the AP engaged all MCDU entries below FL100 are strictly PM territory. At my previous one, there were two exceptions to this rule - DIR TO and activation of the APPR PHASE. As I understand it, the reason behind not allowing the PF to perform DIR TO himself is to make him remain head-up at all times and cross-check the correct TO waypoint on the ND. Which makes sense. And it's a pretty good counterargument to the claim that manual flight significantly increases PM workload. Realistically, on your average RNAV departure where you are given a flight level and a direct to somewhere after takeoff, you will only spare your PM working with the altitude dial by engaging the AP. Of course, there can be exceptions to this. One example is if your cleared altitude is quite low - like 5000 feet. Then, if you leave the aircraft to accelerate and climb in CLB, you risk triggering someone's TCAS by your high RoC close to the cleared altitude. So, it's smarter to engage the AP in V/S and set an appropriate RoC.
1. Yes. The idea is, if PM dials in something wrong but reads the (wrong) numbers back, there is a good chance ATC will correct it, or the PF !
2. Yes

Same Company?