PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2020, 10:00
[email protected]

Received 629 Likes on 272 Posts
Trimitout - see my quote above from the Director UKSAR - taking trade from aircrew is exactly what this initiative is about - keep the expensive to run asset on the ground until it is absolutely needed.

I don't doubt the value of UAVs - another tool is always welcome in the toolbox but that isn't how this is being pushed - the vision seems to be of a multitude of drones patrolling the UK shores and perhaps inland hotspots and only launching a helicopter when there is clear need for a rescue. Ambitious senior execs exist in all industries and areas and they are always about empire-building and land-grabbing but it is often wrapped up in vague altruism about improving safety or service.

What the UK actually needs IS more boots on the ground with expert local knowledge, not an operator with a camera pi**ing off beachgoers and hillwalkers with drone surveillance.

If you fly round the coast of UK, you can see how many empty Coastguard lookouts there are - a precious few still manned by volunteers - all victims of cost cutting and efficiencies imposed by management who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. It's only a few years that full-time CG units were shut.

How long before drones are used to stop frequent MRT call outs, waiting until the casualty is located and then sending help - not good for the casualty who has to wait longer for medical help.

I have the greatest respect for the job you guys did in Afghan and I'm glad it provided a route into RW for you - enjoy.

I note with interest that the Director UKSAR Bristow, who made the quoted comments, is an ex-FJ pilot - perfect for overseeing RW operations!!!!

Last edited by [email protected]; 15th Aug 2020 at 10:12.