PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2020, 09:00
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Guitar Joe
Is Dr Borody only able to discover treatment protocols in gastroenterology? Are treatment protocols in Respiratory diseases rendered useless if found or administered by doctors from another specialty?
Don’t all treatment protocols begin life by demonstrating efficacy in a petrie dish?
Is the efficacy of a drug determined by which news or opinion outlet gives it airtime? Would the drug work if The Project or CNN interviewed Dr Borody?
No, and I’m not using Ad Hominems in my criticism.

At no point I’m saying a Gastroenterologist is not able to discover treatment protocols in other fields, but have a think why a Gastroenterologist is touring a cure that a Senior Biomedical Research Fellow who did the actual petri dish study has said more work needs to be done on in order to know if the safe level of Ivermectin that can be given to humans will have an effect on the virus. Or why an Infectious Disease Professor and Clinician heading up an Australian COVID trial has said he hasn’t seen any of this supposed data, and the study from Bangladesh was of poor quality. Why do two people with more knowledge of COVID treatment and research dispute this Gastroenterologist’s statements? Why does a senior Molecular Pharmacologist at Uni of Adelaide say this:

When asked about the drug’s potential in treating coronavirus, Dr Ian Musgrave, a molecular pharmacologist from the University of Adelaide, said: “Oh no, not Ivermectin.”

“No, it‘s not a cure for COVID-19,” Dr Musgrave added.

“It works in test-tube experiments, but is unlikely to work clinically as it is hard to achieve effective plasma concentrations. No clinical trials data are available yet and in the absence of any public data, claims of the high efficacy are to be taken with a grain of salt.”
What the interesting thing is is that there already is a treatment, Remdesivir, that has already been approved by the TGA as a COVID treatment. It has been shown in clinical trials to reduce disease length in patients with severe symptoms, although it definitely isn’t being touted as a “miracle cure”.

Makes me think those sprouting Ivermectin are doing it for political or financial reasons, like the Hydroxychloroquine pushers are.