PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2020, 00:31
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by novice110
The rate of casualisation of the workforce in Australia has been steady for about 20 years, around 25%.

Without these employment opportunities, the unemployment rate would be higher.

I agree though, this minority will have to go to work sick at times just to put food on the table. Be it flu or Covid.
It all depends on how you compile stats to get statistics.

For both men and women there has been a surge in permanent part-time employment in the past twenty years—more than quadrupling for men and more than doubling for women. Casual part-time employment also grew strongly for men—up by 326,000 or 96 per cent.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...%20per%20cent.

Labour hire is not mentioned in that report, certainly been a growth industry in aviation over the last 20 years. They should be counted as casual employment, but they are not employees.

When I look back over the last 20 odd years, most of the people were in full time employment. Casual employment was the domain mostly for children and students & part time the domain of mothers mostly. Today is a very different picture, Full time is uncommon as in an open ended contract, 2-5 year contracts are very common, contractors are very common, casual still students with a strong mix of working visa holders. Outsourcing in aviation has increased and I expect that is the same in other areas.

I expect it is only 25% because the way the numbers were counted.