PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2020, 17:29
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reversethrustset
​​
Can you see the irony & double standards in your post here Rivet? You can't have it both ways, so which is it?
Not when I qualified my statement with a N.B. If you look at my posts I always resist the urge to mention BOH or get involved with the tiresome debate on which is better, even when all the trolls appeared from under their rocks during BEs demise. I mentioned it in my last post merely to support my long held believe that there is serious and unwavering value put in SOU by the aviation industry. LM, T3 and BI could all have opened at BOH or at least their competing routes but they have not. This is not intended as a dig at BOH, it is obviously the closest airport to SOU so is the most obvious yardstick for my point. The fact that serious and unwavering value is present is why the runway works will continue even in the tumultuous times we find ourselves in. The management will be talking to airlines all the time and as I have long mentioned on this forum I strongly feel that EZY will have told SOU that they will open a base when the works are completed. I would also not be surprised that SOU knew BE were going to disappear long before it happened and that it is also a driving force behind the planned works. Why else plan to convert all the stands next to the terminal for larger aircraft. Yes I know that is not part of the current application but it shows what SOU are moving towards.

I am not sure why there is a focus on TFS, bucket and spade routes are likely to continue to be a marginal part of SOUs business, maybe the odd route to Greece or The Canary Islands. EZY will target city breaks to Barcelona, Prague, Milan, Madrid etc from SOU. These are all places that the relatively wealthy people of the South go to even for just a weekend. The problem is that they all have to drive to LGW or even STN to get a low priced ticket.

As for opinions, I have always championed this forum as somewhere people can say whatever they like. The only issue I have had is with one poster who cuts and pastes the same negative post and has done so for as long as I can remember. He is of course free to post that but unfortunately people take the bait and this thread is derailed back into the same tiresome arguments. Which is bizarre, as there is no negativity on any of the other airport threads on here, some of which have a lot less to feel positive about than SOU. Whilst I am glad that people are starting to resist taking the bait, I am now merely raising the point that it is unfair that I am the only one policing this thread and that the other balanced posters need to step up to the plate.