PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transport Canada to FAA conversion
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2020, 17:16
Amberleaf22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport Canada to FAA conversion

Hello,
I have been reading AC 61-135A to convert TCCA to FAA pilot license. I think it is clear, but I just wanted to double check with this forum.
I have a Transport Canada ATPL from a long time ago. I renewed it in 2018 and received a new Aviation Booklet valid till 2023, but my medical is expired in 2016. I was surprised TCCA renewed it since my medical was expired.
Fast forward to 2020 and I moved to USA permanently (obtained "Green Card") and I want to get back into aviation again. (rent a local C172 with a FAA private pilot license).
I saw the TCAA to FAA conversion process so I sent in my form to FAA and they verified my TCCA pilot license, but noted my expired Canadian Medical.
I thought I could obtain a US medical, say CAT 3, write the written exam, and I could obtain my FAA Private License based on my Canadian License.
But now I am reading the fine print and it appears I must continue to have a valid Canadian Pilot licence in order to keep the FAA conversion license valid. Is that correct?
Do I continue to have my Canadian medical current AND a current US medical to hold the FAA Private Pilot license based on Canadian Pilot License?
I looked and I cannot find any doctors to perform a Canadian Medical renewal where I live, in southern California.
I also don't intend to return to live Canada until maybe retirement age. (I am currently over 40 so Canadian medical expire every 2 years)
Anyone gone through this process?
Maybe it is just easier to start from scratch with my FAA Private Pilot training, and I should breeze through it quickly due to my previous flying experience.
I tried contacting the local FDSO by phone, but no response.

Thanks!!