PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2020, 16:32
TOM100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midland Alpha9
PDX I have read your submissions for numerous years and whilst they are mostly interesting and informative it does lead me to the conclusion you are actually a senior manager with Cardiff Airport or an employee.
I think you are missing the main point ,which Tom100 is making. Has the airport management taken any action in reducing their operating costs/overheads in the past three months? I am aware the C.E.O. has departed, why? Most would think she has done a first class job building CWL up. Is this an opportunity for a much needed restructure. A commercial business facing these difficult challenging times needs a strong FD as I stated in my previous posting the cost of the new FD is not extortionate and if he/she is worth their salt they will more than payback their salary package.
MA9 - this is exactly my point. I feel for the airport - they couldn’t control Flybe, obvs they can’t control Covid but I do want to see them address their costs to take account of the new commercial reality. Aviation is not predicted to return to 2019 levels until 2022-2024 depending on who’s prediction is most accurate - so they need to take steps to address this beyond the end of furlough (and taking into account any statutory consultation, this should have started by now).

The analogy with my local shop, of course, is not a direct read across (which it was never meant to be) but just to illustrate some principles of doing business in any sector.

i want CWL to thrive, but that also means operating like a true commercial business and showing the leadership and the ability to be nimble - if they can’t do this then it really does make you ask lots of questions about the real business credentials of their senior team.