PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civil passenger aircraft with JATO
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2020, 15:38
Spooky 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadigraph
Presume the turbojets (correct description?) attached to the B-36 and C-82 were only used for take off? Trying to recall if any other types were so fitted.

Spooky, going back to the Queen Air, you aren't thinking of the augmentor exhausts are you? Bloody noisy things, sound great though. Used to occasionally see German AF Do-28Ds heading home across South London at 10000' or so from (I think) Brawdy - you would first hear them when they were still miles away and continue to hear them when they were miles past - and they were not the fastest dog in the pack by any stretch of the imagination!
Okay now you made me look for this subject a little harder From an old AOPA article on the Twin Bonanza and Queen Air. Scroll down, close to the end. I recall this as I was working at the Van Nuys airport as a line boy around 1961 and one of our hangar customers had a Model 65. I believe it had this installation as would have been befitting the owner, a John Von Nuemann, local Ferrari distributor and owner of Competition Motors. He later bought at MS760 from Beach as they were going to distribute that ac in the US. This link talks to the D50 but since the D50 and Model 65 Queen Air were almost identical in many respects I will assume the both aircraft had this option.

Wished I could find a picture but as I recall the installation sat on top of the engine cowl and was streamlined in such a way that it was barely noticeable.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...h-twin-bonanza

Last edited by Spooky 2; 14th Aug 2020 at 19:51.