PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Babcock offshore contract.
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2020, 16:52
helicrazi

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpindleBob
Haven't logged in for a few days - Surprised to see so much criticism.

OK, when I said new base to set up, I mean that the IAC has run out of Scatsta for many years - It will now have to run out of Sumburgh. There's a fair bit to set up.

But it was evident that Babcock really hadn't planned ahead for this. They didn't seem to have an idea how the contract was run by Bristow. They told all their staff that 'its fine - TUPE won't apply'. They hired new pilots. There was a level of arrogance about their whole bid. This is a contract that has been bid on remarkably cheaply and now they are asking the pilots to take a cut, because they cannot afford this new work they have just won.

Big Babcock put out two Statements to say they were pulling out of the O&G market. One just before winning the IAC and the second, not long before winning Total. OK, so the managers have run around trying to convince staff that the barn isn't on fire, and perhaps they have managed to convince the clients too, but personally I suspect the clients don't care too much, so long as they are getting a cheap service.

So do I really not have a clue what I'm typing?? Does anyone here really think that Babcock can make a profit on either of these two contracts?? The various incumbent companies had held the work for several years, so we can assume that the profit margins had gradually been eroded and they weren't major money makers by the end - So the idea that someone has undercut the existing contracts and despite significant start up costs, can supposedly deliver a profit making service?? I just don't see how that is plausible
Who says babcock was cheapest? I wasnt aware you were privy to the tenders

Very little set up in sumburgh, babcock has always (give or take) operated out of there in 1 form or another, but operated CAT flights from there as a base for about 5 years