PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-10
Thread: Ryanair-10
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2020, 15:42
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fill out a 'COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form' accurately on arrival and hand it in to passport control. I've never been followed up on and no one shuts you up in a hotel room.
The situation is very different for visitors such as myself. You list your location as 'Dublin', so presumably you are based at your own accommodation which you call "home". A tourist flouting lockdown in a rural town such as Killarney would surely risk attracting the attention of the local Gardai. Apart from which, just what is actually open in Killarney? Are the 'Ring of Kerry' excursions actually running? Maybe they are - for Irish residents - but I'm sure a "self-isolating" tourist would be noticed.

No, for visiting tourists, Eire is not a viable option at present. If you want to enjoy a holiday, you must break the law. This is why it is so disappointing that Ryanair will not waive change fees for customers blindsided by this - not refunds, just a waiver of the arbitrary £90 change-fee. For a change which you organise yourself online and print on your own paper with your own ink using your own equipment. No interaction by Ryanair staff. Why a £90 charge for this?

Well, I remind Mr O' Leary and co of the decals he once applied to EI-EXF. "U Nevr Beat D Irish!" Now it just so happens that there's quite a bit of Irish blood in me ... like 100% of it actually. And I don't intend to be beaten by Ryanair on this one. Don't get angry, get even! I have devised a strategy to to do exactly that.

The fare on which I feel "done" by Ryanair was £51.95. Not a large sum financially, but I hate being ripped off. It's the principle of it. So I've decided to divert 20x this sum away from Ryanair in retaliation. In coming months, this means diverting £1039.00 which would have been spent with Ryanair to bookings with alternative carriers. Sending them to the proverbial 'sin-bin' for a while.

Now, of course, I recognise that this is only a gesture to a company the size of Ryanair. But I remind them that many other customers who booked flights on 'self-isolation' routes pre June 10th will also feel aggrieved by Ryanair's no-compromise indifference. If a good proportion of these also adopt an "anyone but Ryanair" attitude for a while, those £90 change fees will prove to have been an expensive misjudgment.