PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2020, 04:39
PDXCWL45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOM100
PDX - believe it or not (and as a regular user) I would like to see the airport succeed.

what riles me is the current apparent lack of inaction, too heavy management and apparent lack (or thinking) of any future strategy.

without seeing their accounts it is difficult to say what I would do.

certainly strip all costs out to the absolute bare minimum to operate safely until business returns (and I don’t just mean furlough).

I flew through CWL 2 weeks ago (2 flights operating that day) and I saw the current MD selling coffee and the Ops Director nearby - if they have time to do this then they should be able to combine senior roles into a couple - at least temporarily.

then ruthlessly look at all operating costs.

As to the income side they need to offer aggressive deals to carriers to drive airport use and footfall.

Look to diversify to other airfield use options.

Maybe they are doing these things but as a publicly owned asset I expect them to tell us like a Plc would tell shareholders.
With regards to accountability they do make yearly report's to the Senedd and get scrutinsed by committee and had to do the same for the most recent loan.
Personally I think it says something about ethos if the management in a time of crisis is willing to pitch in at the coal face.
As for operating costs what can they cut? A lot of their costs come from regulation, the other costs is of course staff. CWL as far as I know hasn't cut any yet.
The new finance director is replacing Huw Lewis the CFO.
Airline wise it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next year with demand down, I'd have thought that they'd be trying to persuade TUI especially not to cut flights or based aircraft for 2021.