PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Runway Excursion
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2020, 04:10
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel How about not over running the runway?

These "AIR SAFETY EXPERTS" are making some of the right noises, but, how about focussing on a few of these areas:
Stabilised Approaches, Long Landings, Tail Wind Limitations, woeful CRM, lack of Runway Grooving, Poor ATC equipment and standards, Approach Aids U/S, FLT limitation breaches, Fake Licenses, Recurrent Training Scams, Company Pressure, the list goes on.

I flew in India over 10 years ago, mainly in the South, and the ATC standard was woeful back then, and I doubt it has improved much. Being able to argue with the controller to get yourself a better position in the sequence, getting "Vectored" toward terrain in a Non Radar Procedural TMA below MSA, disregarding procedure entries onto approaches that take you below MSA so you can save a few minutes, it was mind boggling.

Like all countries, there where some great pilots, but there where also some very average ones. I can assure you, I am no Ace of the Base, but I understand the importance of the SOP and the responsibility I have to the passengers and crew.

Back then, F/O's were NOT allowed to land during the "Monsoon Season", July to October. ie: no PF sectors at all for those months. (I don't know if this is still the case?) It could be a CAVOK day on the East Coast, eg VOMM, but the F/O's were prohibited from acting as PF?? Their skills were eroded quickly during these months. Remembering, a lot of these F/O's were straight from flying school into the RH seat of a Jet.

So when you are doing 6 sector days, in this sort of weather, it was very taxing. The good guys and girls were an asset during the bad weather approaches, the others would be varying degrees of useless to you, as they had no idea of why it was so hard, and what support to provide.

The resistance to Go Arounds and to a greater extent diverting was phenomenal. The questions of my manhood that were expressed on the radio when I went around once was unbelievable. Leading into these sort of comments about the runway being dangerous because WHEN you over run it, the terrain is dangerous, HOW ABOUT NOT OVER RUNNING THE RUNWAY?

Calicut, VOCL, is 64nm from Cochin, VOCI, which has an ILS ON RWY 27, into the prevailing wind. In fact, there are 5 ILS equiped Runways within 150nm.

It's good to see these "AIR SAFETY EXPERTS" highlighting some of the infrastructure issues in Indian aviation, but a possible look in the mirror for all the Standards departments of all the Airlines is in order. I am sure there will be findings from this accident similar to the Mangalore accident, and the PIA Karachi accident too.

Things need to change in the way these aircraft are operated, the way pilots are trained, and most importantly, the way the companies support the Crew everyday. Until this change is effected, these accidents will continue to occur.