PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2020, 23:09
Dropoffcharge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RW20
Unless there is a positive outcome from the Runway application,I believe that the airport is going to struggle in the short term. The value of having a decent paved surface is illustrated in the way BOURNEMOUTH have been able to operate at there pre covid operational hours. Southampton has however been open to date to 19-00,and a rather surprising 15-00 on Saturdays. Clearly SOU needs the extension to survive,however this is no way certain, challenging times is ahead,I'm sure certain contributors to this blog will denounce me and have a rather haloed view of Southampton prospects,but reality dictates that if it's not viable,then it won't survive .
I have to agree with the above, reality time hitting hard, it seems is going to be very tough times ahead for SOU, really not sure what is out there to kick start the place again during this current climate? With vastly reduced regional flying on the cards, by a reduction in regional carriers and with cargo probably not an option like BOH seems to be pursuing, how long can the channel islands and a few select routes keep the place going? The extension is a must now, but who is going to be genuinely ready to take advantage of that? (if it happens at all) I'm certain Easyjet won't be banging on the door to open up a new base like some think they will, as they seem to be, as most airlines are, consolidating not expanding right now.