PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lauda 320 UK report
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2020, 07:59
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with a lot of the posters here that the "passport, wallet and phone in your pockets" is good enough, leave the rest.

However, I spoke to someone yesterday who said they don't have pockets that would carry all that so would have to carry off a small bag... I suggested that that would result in one hand being occupied holding it and not available to help themselves if really needed. My suggestion was a 'waist belt' for those things to which the answer was "but they're not comfortable" so my answer was "Wear it for take-off and landing and have it off for the rest of the time", which was taken as a good suggestion.

Regarding
"Remove high heeled shoes" is another one. What provision is made to continue walking afterwards.
... people should do some thinking for themselves. Do they have appropriate footwear for any evacuation? We always wear our hiking boots onto a flight rather than pack bulky items like that, but we don't wear them for the whole flight -- however they stay fully laced up until comfortably after take-off and are laced up again well before landing, just in case we need to get out in a hurry. I cannot understand people who are only in their bare or stocking-ed feet for take off and landing, how are they going to run away from the aeroplane with possible broken bits around? Like that lady in the high heels...

People do need to think for themselves.

It is time that a prosecuting authority took to prosecuting everyone who leaves an evacuated aircraft with hand baggage. The legal situation should be absolutely clear cut and some highly publicised prosecutions with severe penalties are needed to get the message home.