PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Terminal 1 Baggage System
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2020, 19:11
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Reverserbucket
The T1 baggage system is still very much alive (although significantly more automated than it used to be) despite the terminal being closed, as it serves the new T2; there is a large black 'bridge/tunnel' to the left of T2 at Departures level which descends into the bowels of T1 to, I believe, the same baggage make-up area mentioned earlier. Apparently they couldn't build one beneath the new terminal because of the proximity of the Piccadilly Line (and for the same reason, there's no passenger rail transit between T2 and T2B as there is between T5A/B/C).
There's a hug empty baggage hall at apron level in the new T2, plus a big full one on the level above full of new kit.

Yes, the T1 system is still live, and as I mentioned earlier, it has even been added to in the past couple of years with the old T1 airside international departures lounge converted to a baggage hall with new cat bag scanners.

Yes, there was working being done of the below ground T2 baggage extension to T2B/C etc in prep for the demo of T1 at some point, but Covid has put a stop to all that work.
Its why I'm out of a job.