PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2020, 13:10
JerseyAero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by True Blue
WW, I appreciate that holds true for some/many routes. But if, for example, RwandAir moves from Lgw to Lhr, why would they suddenly benefit from higher yield? They are the only carrier to operate direct to Kigali from London, so if you want to go there direct, they are the only option, so it should not matter whether it is Lgw or Lhr. Other than the ability of Lhr to operate almost in a monopoly position on LH routes(it looks like they are going to get almost 100% control again), why else would yield go up in the example I have given and there are others?
For airlines to operate out of LHR must also surely be a much more attractive proposition for passengers originating in other parts of the UK. I am not sure how many extra pax this would generate of course but for example if I wanted to travel to Kigali with Rwandair, I am perfectly happy to travel to LHR from MAN on one of the several BA services each day or even the train if really necessary but getting to LGW, forget it, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of trying to get there ! No flights and train/car journey takes far too long.