PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 11th Aug 2020, 04:21
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
The Max modifications appear to be similar to the military 'Leading Edge Extension' which involves AoA and vortex management, but implemented with full FBY technology.
Excuse me, but I do not think the MCAS does anything close to what the LEX configurations did for the fighters since the 70's. Nor was it intended to do so. Good item for the Tech Log.

Secondly, the fighter LEX configurations provide good directional stability and keep the main wing providing useable lift at higher AoA than previous configurations WITHOUT FBW FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMS. Gasp! I am constantly amused by how many folks still have trouble uderstanding what FBW does and the various implementations - e.g. full FBW with zero mechanical or hydraulic anything like the Viper and Raptor and Stubbie, or hybrid systems as the early Hornets had and likely even the latest Super Bugs. Dunno about the Tiffie or Russian planes.

From everything I read about MCAS, and its evolution, the primary independent variables were AoA and mach and flaps/gear position. Upon flight tests, several aspects of the kludge were changed. But the biggest sin was implementing such a system without informing the pilots, and not even the reliance upon a single sensor and the repeated activation a few seconds after using the trim switches on the yoke.