PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 11th Aug 2020, 02:09
Thezk77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Is it even worth the effort anymore to train?

Hello all,
I'll start by telling you all that I'm a complete newbie to the aviation industry as my only method of learning of it is reading of it for years (so don't go too hard on me). I'm currently a year 12 student who is looking at preferences for the future, with a major one being getting a bachelor in science (professional pilot) from a university flight school. I've been considering this avenue for years now, but this pandemic has put extra strain on my thoughts. My first issue is the availability of jobs in Victoria. I understand that pilot jobs are clearly not everywhere, forcing some to go interstate to find work, but this is a very unlikely scenario for me to undertake (family stuff = little to no chance). This means I'm limited to finding jobs in Victoria if there are even enough AUS wide for a graduate pilot! This on top of many other commercial plots losing work makes me feel as if my other not so interesting career avenues are more of a reality. The pandemic has also made me think about "backup" degrees, and I was wondering if any of you got a degree before going into flight school (which seems like a nice but EXTRA expensive idea).
In conclusion, commercial aviation would be a dream career for me, but is it really worth it in this day and age in this situation?
Thank you and please go easy