PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Runway Excursion
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2020, 23:49
C310driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FullWings

The FCTM tells us to continue with normal go around procedures after a baulked landing. That’s assuming they didn’t select reverse thrust after touchdown. Another member has very kindly uploaded a screenshot of the FCTM page where Boeing says in no uncertain terms that safe flight is NOT possible if a go around is initiated after you select reverse thrust.

Since the FR24 data shows them coming in hot, and (eyewitness reports?) then bouncing twice, they may have finally touched down with very little runway remaining to stop. However the spoilers would be raised for the duration of their ground roll (assuming they were armed for landing) until the moment they advanced the thrust levers for the go around. The DFDR will reveal the actual facts. Also worth noting is the wet muddy patch of the area past the paved surface of the runway may have slowed them down sufficiently to prevent reaching Vmcu /airborne.

It’s worth noting that whenever I use Autobrake 3 on both the B737CL or B737NG, the braking provided in combination with max reverse is fantastic on both dry & wet runways. I can’t comment on contaminated runways because my operation manual prohibits taking off or landing from contaminated runways/whenever braking action is reported as poor. So they may have slowed to ~ 100kts before realising that they were running out of runway. Again, these are just my 2 cents.