PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FireHawk Blade Strike
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2020, 21:32
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Ring gear makes the main point, i.e., that the tip weights are not in/on the tip cap but at the outboard structure where the tip cap is mounted.

Somewhere out there some 60 pilot has smashed a tip cap into a tree I’d guess, but not I. One day tho’ I was sitting in the front seat of the S-67 making part of that movie one can find on line. This part didn’t make the final cut: we’re flying down the shoreline of the lake on the West Point Reservation and Kurt ( Cannon-S-67 Project Pilot and a great one ) cut it a bit close to the treeline and whacked a decent sized limb. Created a significant 1P ( mostly vertical ) and track problem, but otherwise allowed flight. Found a large unoccupied parking lot and had a spare blade delivered from Stratford. That tip cap was a mess and not doing anything good at all, aerodynamically.
( there was a slightly humorous angle: when we hit the tree, Kurt said immediately on the ICS “ what was that “ . His loyal copilot responded “ you hit that damn tree back there, Kurt”. Kurt hadn’t had the advantage of being in the Army for the SE Asia Games. Courtesy of the Army, I had some experience in that area ).