PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2020, 19:17
commit aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
Wizz have said they are being blocked at Gatwick. They also fail to mention the £300m state aid from the U.K. government while complaining about other airlines receiving aid packages. https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...blocking-fraud
I understand Wizz's position however if the 80/20 rule were reinstated would the airlines concerned try to offload the slots, hand the slots back or operate empty legs to protect the slots and keep Wizz out?
Not an expert on this but wondering if there is anything to stop an airline from hiring a GA aircraft and flying it to and from a nearby airfield with the airlines call-signs to minimise cost (and accusations of unnecessary carbon emissions.)
I have a vague recollection of this happening in the past but not sure if the rules were changed to prevent it. Little revenue in it for the airport of course so half empty flights / rock bottom prices are the other option but airlines are bleeding money in peak summer so probably not what they would prefer.
If BA are to ditch short haul they might be prepared to cut their losses and sell but if (big if I know) other airlines are hoping / planning to return they might want to use whatever tricks are at their disposal to keep hold.