PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2020, 22:18
cessnaxpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the economy is good and airlines are growing and promotions happen quickly, everyone is happy. When things are going backwards, nobody is happy. This industry has always been cyclical, and there are ups and downs. This obviously is not a good time for pilots! Who knows what it will look like in five or ten years.

I have worked many jobs outside of aviation, and I have enjoyed different aspects of every job I’ve had. Some jobs did not pay that much, but they were very interesting.

For someone just beginning this career, I completely agree that it is better to have a back up career with experience. For those of already in this business, obviously now is the time to look at possible back up jobs.

I remember when I returned to an airline after being made redundant and people asked me why I came back. I had a great job at a law practice and I actually enjoyed the legal field. The truth was I enjoy aviation more. In the other profession it was difficult to take time off. One also had to worry about many other aspects of the business; support staff, bills, insurance, clients, etc. that being said, I am confident that if I had a medical issue and could not fly, I would be able to find another job. There is no job beneath me, and I am sure I would find aspects of any job interesting and new... at least for a while.

I wish everyone luck! These are difficult times, but I am confident we will all land on our feet. If you enjoy aviation, don’t give up on it forever. It’s never fun when one has to work more for less money (many airlines cutting pay and changing T&C), but I can also tell you the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence (jobs outside of aviation).