PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Soldiers, Sailors and ...?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2020, 19:58
ve3id

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot 'n' High
Grudgingly, we'll have to give this one (at least in aviation terms) to the Pongoes who were conducting balloon trials at Woolwich back in 1878 with the Navy picking the theme up in 1908 when they finally started looking seriously at Samuel Cody's kites, and shortly thereafter, into airships.

As you say, Wwyvern, there was that "unfortunate interlude" 1918 - 1936 as well as the previous "skirmish" 1912 - 1914 but 1908 was when it all started to take off (as it were) in the Navy and, once the Admiralty had got the concept, they really seemed to go for it.

I like to put it all down to a case of "You can't keep a good dog down" when it comes to the WAFUs remaining as a separate fighting entity................................!

But I'm sure others will have their own views!!!! Cheers, H 'n' H
The Canadian Forces had very interesting terminology when I was a pilot trainee in boot camp. I remember studying the QR & Os one day and see the formulae for married personnel household moving allowances - and came across the phrase 'when an officer or man is married to another officer or man....'

I am all for gender-neutral naming - but what about NOTAMs? In a futuristic novel I published back in 2016 I proposed the term 'NOTAPs' where P = Personnel.

Just wondering...