PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does the new NAS improve Air Safety in Australia?
Old 30th Nov 2003, 21:45
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In other words, "Aussie" Andy, if RPT pilots and controllers in the UK were having an exchange of views about proposed and arguably dangerous changes to their system, what credibility do you think an Australian private pilot would have if he stuck his nose in because he flew there twenty years ago?

I notice Dick got his opinions printed in the national newpapaer again this weekend, sprouting the same old stuff. Reminds me of how the national road toll was going to reduce because Dick's reforms to airspace meant that aviation would be so cheap and so safe everybody would be flying. A pity the newspapers don't come here and listen to the views of the workface pilots and controllers instead of swallowing this simplistic boy scout nonsense.

The CEO of AirServices, yet another Smith, has confirmed that ASA have no say in this whole business. They don't formulate policy; they simply implement it. In other words they do what they are told. By whom? By a minister who knows nothing about aviation, guided by a private pilot with his hand up the minister's back.

Why is the minister listening to this private pilot when all around him the protests from those who actually work the system are getting louder? What an excellent question. Well, Minister? Are you a bit worried about a popular (except with professional aviators) independent threatening to stand against you in your electorate unless you pass these changes?

No? Oh well, just a thought.

110 paydays to go, if I make it that far.