PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook Power Line Strike Wales
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2020, 09:28
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Distant Voice Post 17 :-

A 2013 paper covering the MoD Helicopter Safety Enhancement Programme stated,

There is currently no wire cutter kit developed for the Chinook and there are no known plans to develop one. The cost and timescale associated with introducing this capability suggest that an alternative means of protecting the aircraft against wire strike may be a better option. Assessment of a tablet based moving map capability is underway, which would have details of known wires and obstacles overlaid. The key to this type of system is considered to be an effective means of alerting the aircrew to the presence of wires without them having to spend prolonged periods “eyes-in”.

I hope the ODH found suitable mitigation to cover the wire strike risk when he signed off on the ALARP safety statement.DV
Distant Voice Post 123 :-

"On a personal level I will be very interested if further low level mitigation is recommended"

I will be interested to see what mitigation the ODH had in place at the time of the accident, and did it reduce the risk to ALARP.

DV
Keep at it DV. The answer is known and will eventually be revealed (it always is!). Rather reminds me of the Fawlty Towers Round of Drinks running joke :-