PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Experience conducted by PPL holders
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2020, 22:45
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The CAA don't care about these flights, it's going to take an accident before something happens.
I do not know of any ATO/DTO sanctioning these flights, why would they? If anyone knows of any instance of such an organisation utilising unqualified PPLs to conduct air experience flights (outlined in the PPL syllabus) instead of a flight instructor then name them. Flying clubs charging the public for a training flight but using a PPL masquerading as an instructor: "so they can pocket the instructor fee" is a criminal offence and will result in a certain prison sentence. If you truly know of any such flights then report them.

As far as I can see these flights are advertised by the individual PPL and conducted independently of and without any reference to a flying school. The quote from the CAA that whopity has shared is a joke. The CAA team who wrote that must have been in the pub all afternoon to come up with such nonsense.

3.5 Article 6.(4a)(c) of EASA Air Ops applies to other-than complex motor powered aircraft conducting introductory flights as follows: ‘introductory flights, parachute dropping, sailplane towing or aerobatic flights performed either by a training organisation having its principal place of business in a Member State and approved in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011, or by an organisation created with the aim of promoting aerial sport or leisure aviation, on the condition that the aircraft is operated by the organisation on the basis of ownership or dry lease, that the flight does not generate profits distributed outside of the organisation, and that whenever non-members of the organisation are involved, such flights represent only a marginal activity of the organisation.

Thanks, I was wondering why a local club was selling " Flying Lesson Vouchers" but using a PPL holder to conduct the flight.
If it is a flying lesson then the flight must be undertaken by a qualified Flight Instructor. They will be defrauding the customer if they have sold them a lesson but an unqualified PPL only holder is doing the flight.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 7th Aug 2020 at 23:39.