PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falcon Express Iraq and FEDEX
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2003, 20:56
2daddies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

Well that's just showing everybody how far down in the sand your head is buried, Tonto.

That may have been a joke, but I don't care. Let me point out some differences between Air Force 1 and a cargo Beech 1900C:

1) AF1 has a full array of electronic and physical countermeasures designed to repel SAMs and other projectiles. We have nothing.

2) AF1 flew in unannounced. We go in at the same time, every single day.

3) AF1 flew in at night with its lights off. We do not because Night VFR is illegal in Iraq for flight planning purposes.

4) AF1 is flown by highly experienced military pilots, fully trained in the techniques to be used to avoid enemy threats. All of our pilots are civilians who, bar one or two of the most recent recruits, were hired without knowledge of impending Iraq flights.

In fact, Tonto, a majority of pilots were so unhappy with the idea of resuming services into Iraq (suspended after DHL) that many had made the decision to vote with their feet. Thankfully management decided to make operating there purely voluntary and so no-one resigned (but more than twice as many declined to operate Iraq flights as chose to do so).

To summarise, Air Force 1's visit to Iraq was certainly notable and no doubt was one of the riskiest missions it has ever accomplished. DO NOT use that event to downplay the importance of this issue for us.

Think I'm a little highly strung? Probably, but the VERY REAL possibility of having RPGs and SAMs fired at you isn't a calming experience.