PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Terminal 1 Baggage System
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2020, 17:19
mikemmb

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Heathrow Terminal 1 Baggage System

Hi, I am trying to gather information together to write up a history of my working life (for family members only!) which spanned all sorts of different environments which I stumbled into!

One project that I got involved in was at Heathrow T1 during the (early?) 1980's (possibly even 1979?) which was a small Baggage Conveyor system.
What I can remember was that it consisted of four or five check in desks, transferring onto a simple takeaway conveyor leading to a spiral chute down to ground level.
At the bottom of the chute was a belt conveyor where baggage handlers removed the bags for loading.
It was called something like "Late Bag Drop" or words to that effect.
I also recall there was an adjacent coffee shop/cafe of some sorts which I spent some time in whilst nursing my baby into life!

The significance to me is that it was the first piece of software that I wrote and commissioned for a conveyor system.
It was early day stuff, storing software programmes on cassette tapes (oh the tears when it mangled up), burning eproms, UV erasing, 1K memory ....lonely and exciting in equal measures.

But I would be grateful if any T1 Old Codgers can help me out with dates of the installation or the actual name of the check in area.
Of course a photo would be fantastic but perhaps too much of a long shot!

Mike