PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QNH or QFE ?
Thread: QNH or QFE ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2020, 12:11
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Track:

The rest of the world has already figured out that there are some safety considerations here, and that's why they use QNH exclusively below the transition altitude.
You've gone off track there. I understand that in China and most of the former USSR, QFE is widespread. If they ever standardise on QNH at their international airports (which would be a good thing imo) they will be a long way behind the UK.

I was trained to use QFE in the navy. It made perfect sense, particularly to single pilot IF recoveries. It did not complicate things, it simplified them. That was the point. There are plenty of different practices around the world, much of it totally arbitary. QFE is not arbitary, it does not exist simply because 'brits like to complicate things' or 'that's the way we've always done it'. It is a rational option in the specific circumstances where simply knowing your height above the touchdown zone has value in itself. Nobody is advocating using QFE in the cruise instead of QNH. I find it strange that so many people object to the use of QFE. Live and let live.