PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 7th Aug 2020, 10:54
krismiler

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
In my mid-50’s, I am now re-evaluating the last 10 years of my career. Lots of thinking to do.
Could be worse but not a great time for it to happen if you were counting on a decade of high wages to fill the retirement pot now that the kids have left home and the house is nearly paid off. Too late for a career change and to establish in the new line of work at a decent income level. I wouldn't even want to have to learn a new airlines SOPs let alone study and pass exams in a completely different field.

Network a bit and see what's available, maybe snag a government desk job with good benefits. Options are limited once you've passed 50, unless you're really fit much of the physical stuff is out and the brain probably isn't up to too much new technology. No employer wants to invest much in training someone who's only a few years off retirement anyway.

We're probably going to have to tighten our belts, do our best to preserve what payout we get and try to find something with reasonable pay until we retire.