PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Shares slip below HK8
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2020, 08:34
raven11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam,
At the beginning of this pandemic, when we knew little or nothing about it, yes we certainly needed to do all that you suggest. To do otherwise would have been irresponsible. However, we’ve now gone far beyond flattening the curve in order for our hospitals to cope...do you remember when that was the stated intention and goal?

Now that the curve has been flattened, and now that we understand the threat better, we would be wise to tailor our efforts and concentrate our focus on protecting those under the greatest threat: the aged and those with comorbidities.

Most of our hospitals are now empty. Hospital staff are being layed off in some places. People are foregoing all manner of other medical needs, cancer or preventative care...what will the consequences of that be? Combined with a global economic shutdown, our current trajectory is simply not sustainable. It doesn’t matter how smart some people might think that they are. On our current course the unintended consequences will overwhelm us at some point. And make no mistake, that point is not far. This thread is an example of the consequences to come, massive job losses and economic ruin are being anticipated.

A continued shut down of all the sectors of our economic life and individual freedoms will eventually result in wide scale disaster. Now is the time for us to take stock in what we’ve learned and begin to fine tune our strategy. While we wait for a possible vaccine or other therapeutics we must begin to carefully open up our economies while focusing on protecting those that are most vulnerable to the virus. For example, the amazon driver need not risk his life for me, but those people that have contracted the virus and have the antibodies should be allowed to return to their jobs. Instead people under little or no risk of contracting the virus are ordered to remain indoors under penalty of law.

Instead of a nuanced and intelligent approach, all I see and hear are people effectively advocating for an infinite shutdown. There’s even talk of people rejecting a vaccine until it’s efficacy has been proven beyond all doubt. Talk about simple and radical?

You’re right though, time will tell. And it’s judgement will not be kind.

As I alluded to earlier, at my point in life’s journey I won’t be the one most impacted...although I live in fear for my children and grand children. Just wheel this old fool closer to the dinner table.

Last edited by raven11; 7th Aug 2020 at 08:46.