PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2020, 00:15
6080ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slezy9
Perhaps if you have a background from the links you probably have your “ear to the ground” a little more than those of us from the outside. I learnt more from Fed updates that were timely and frequent. Unlike the ALPA updates that came out after I’d read it from the Fed updates.

Anyway, you can think what you like. Unless there’s a change in leadership with a focus on the majority (not a select few, ARP??) I’m not the only one who won’t be back with ALPA when/ if we get rehired.
I get where you are coming from with the comms. There was at times I was early waiting on an update that felt like it took far too long to come out. I’d like to think it was due to the fact NZALPA wanted to publish a newsletter that contained known facts, and a bit of an idea of way forward, instead of a 10 page thesis that was the opposite. If in the early days we had gone down the line FANZP quickly ‘ratified’ we would have taken a bigger base pay cut and still be available for a full roster. Good on them for their unified stance tho! I stand corrected on that one tho.

Regarding the ARP’s - I doubt there is a member out there who was interested in letting that happen. But I believe it was better for NZALPA to be at the table rather than not. Not being there has shot ourselves in the foot in the past. NZALPA rules are such that the union can’t pick and choose who it supports in that regard.

At the end of the day, I don’t care what union people choose to belong to. I have good friends in both. What bothers me is when misinformation is spread without people knowing the full story. I wonder how many concerned members went to any council meetings, to sit in and hear what is discussed? My guess is none as engagement is so low - until it affects an individual member. From what I’ve seen, the loudest most disaffected members eventuality put theirs hands up and get involved - and then go silent. Perhaps because they suddenly have a more detailed view of the massive amount of work the council do, and how that work is done. After all the union is us - the members.

For me, NZALPA is not perfect and it would be very easy to change unions, pay less fees and have access to the same licence insurance. But for me it’s not about who’s the cheapest. I’m proud to be part of a union that has the interest of aviation in general in New Zealand. Remember when Air New Zealand was attempting to get pilots added to the skill shortage list, thereby being able to import some cheap labour? It was NZALPA that fought that one through multiple channels. NZALPA has also done a phenomenal amount of work in the medical, drone, and airport certification (WLG RESA springs to mind) areas.

My sympathies go out to all those pilots who have been made redundant or furloughed. It’s a **** sandwich that’s for sure. I’m now not far off the bottom of the list myself.