PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2020, 22:42
dHMozzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a very good decision to make but maybe when you see what options are out there (depending on past work experience) you may think twice before rushing out of aviation! I was made redundant several months ago but I always had a gnawing idea at the back of my mind that I should be doing some training to have something to fall back on, I had a good engineering degree but no work experience. Basically any graduate scheme will see you get at the very most 30k. Admittedly advancement may be fast with the soft skills learned in aviation to help speed things along but outside financial services the peak salary probably won't come close to even the reduced captains salary. I can also only assume that reaching that level will result in long hours and lots of work to take home. You'll get weekends off and more control over your leave etc so that may suit some.

If there is anyone out there reading this who is still employed but doesn't have and previous work experience in another field then start looking at contingency career training now, that is certainly a very good idea. After all it doesnt even take a pandemic to force unemployment, something medical could have the same outcome for an individual. Having to retrain once unemployed is not recommended! I always toyed with the idea of leaving aviation at some point, then it happened and looking at the options I realised I really really didn't know what I had till it was gone.