PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Aircraft Change
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2020, 20:09
Ray_Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Grifo
Still cannot understand why BA are telling me that the flight is running whilst being in the full knowledge that I am prohibited from using it !!
I know, this is very hard to understand, and illogic. The world as whole is illogic in many places.

As far as I know this is special to US bound flights, affecting only these. US authorities delegate precheck of passengers to airlines (and ship operators, I bet). Airline shall collect data and presend it to USA. Airline shall check again before boarding if each single passenger fulfils some basic prerequisites (as visa, or ESTA and so on). If any of that fails and travellers show up to immigration, airline can face high penalties and even as last step denial to operate into USA (or being part of visa waiver program, dunno). So any such airline, if they have to choose between you and continue business into USA, it's clear what's more important.

While this is clear, it's still like the risk is with you. No airline I know of will refund you on a non-flex ticket just because USA force them to refuse you to board. Is this fair? Propably not. Is it common? Yes. Are you the only one affected? Certainly not. Happened to me once we had unexpected technical issue with ESTA. Many years ago. No refund, just rebook with higher fee once we were ready again. The world is unfair and illogic sometimes.