PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kuwait 3 decades ago on this day...
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2020, 07:44
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
Funny, everyone forgets the first time Iraq wanted to take over Kuwait in July 1961 when combined UK forces were sent in to repel the 'invader' with no help from the USA or anyone else.
I remember hearing about the Hunters being deployed to Kuwait on my Dad's car radio when being driven home from school. He then said something accurate, if rather rude, about a certain 1957 Defence White Paper.

Roll forward to 1990; I'd just finished a month's block leave from my UAS when I was told that I was 'vulnerable for recall' due to the Iraqi action. "Oh great", I thought "...as some Ops Officer no doubt". But I was wrong - they were recalling me as a VC10K captain! Shortly after several inoculations and an extended GDT pistol firing day, it was off to do another AR5 course, then a couple of weeks refresher training before we flew ourselves to Bahrain. Masses of flying, then after a break in the UK for RWR and a simulator trip, it was back to the Gulf. More AAR training, then on 17 Jan the first of 40-odd war sorties.

Back home in March, but then it was "What are you doing here - go back to the UAS!"...….. Oh well.