PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick North Terminal
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2020, 07:15
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
North Terminal opening

Originally Posted by Musket90
I remember after BA took over BCAL the ex BCAL DC10's using N Terminal together with Caledonian Airways Tristars and Delta Tristars/MD11-s. Some of the long haul carriers that eventually moved to Heathrow used it..Cathay Pacific,and possibly Philippine and Garuda.
Indeed - IIRC when the new NT opened it was BA schedules and British Airtours KT charter flights going from there (renamed Caledonian soon after as CKT)
I think the first other charter airline that went into NT was Air 2000?
But someone here will know that for sure.
The fledgling Emirates were in the NT.
It was a mainly BA terminal for some time....

Cathay Pacific, Philippines and Garuda were still at South when I was at Ogdens until 1994.
Ogdens took over all BA's third party handling at South Terminal that coincided with BCAL takeover and the NT opening.
Only BA did the handling at NT at that time.

Not sure what happened once Delta went over there as they were co-owners of GHL.
Not sure if GHL ended up at both NT & ST?

As an aside BOAC then BEA Airtours did plenty of USA and Canada Affinity and then ABC charters out of LGW (Jetsave, pound stretcher and exchange travel) using 707-420/-336B and the 747-236 that BA got for new KT - This went back to BA and KT then got an ex SAS -283B for this work. G-BMGS which also went over to CKT.
The CKT Tristars and their DC-10's all did the long haul charter work too. Maldives Goa Mombasa Caribbean and Orlando to name a few.