PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA EAD for non-MAX 737s - engine failures
Old 6th Aug 2020, 03:23
Commander Taco

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MCR01
Thanks; I am agreeably surprised that the success rate is so high.
So do pilots actually train for this eventuality in the simulator, or are simulators too simple to allow such training?
I can’t speak for other carriers, but at mine it wasn’t something that was ever a part of a training syllabus. Dual engine failures certainly were, but associated training/checking revolved around following the applicable drill and/or checklist. The dual engine failure drill and checklists directs the pilots to (amongst other things) establish a descent at a speed and to an altitude within the engine relight envelope. The focus is on achieving a successful relight of at least one engine.

The only time I might have been required (in the simulator) to attempt a landing after a total loss of engine thrust might have come as a part of my carrier’s captain upgrade process which included two simulator sessions during which a candidate could expect to be given situations like this to handle. Needless to say, I spent some time practicing dead-stick landings (amongst other things) from 10,000’ to the runway. However these two simulator sessions were strictly an internal requirement for captain upgrades and not a regulatory requirement, hence normal recurrent training and checking protocols never required this kind of event.