PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2020, 12:35
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Look, I wouldn't in good conscience encourage someone into aviation on a whim. The last time there were this few pilot jobs it was 1902.
But if someone has a dream, then I'll fan the flames beside there's nothing more demoralising than giving up on a dream and living a life of regret.
It won't be easy or cheap, but ​​​​​​ IF you're good enough and IF you want it enough you will get a job. There are only 2 things that can stop that:
1: giving up
2: reaching 65
(If you read some of the previous posts you'll see just how prevalent no 1 is.)

Getting the licence is the easy bit. Getting the first job is the hard bit. There won't be much hiring any time soon which is why you should be prepared to mark time if necessary, or move at the drop off a hat: but at some point there will be jobs. The conveyor belt of age and illness never stops. 3 or 4% of pilots retire or lose their medicals every year.

When the hiring starts you need to stand out from the crowd: Just sending CVs won't do you any favours. You need to network. Meet people. Make friends. Pilots hand in CVs for their friends. They vouch for them etc. Join an airline in a non flying role of necessary, whatever gets you close to the decision makers. Think outside the box.

The best time to introduce yourself to a chief pilot? Just after you've saved one of his kids from drowning. No one needs to know you pushed the kid in....😉