PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B7378 tips?
Thread: B7378 tips?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2020, 12:11
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda
75 73 ....it makes no difference.
I can’t think of one scenario where one pilot going heads down, and then requiring the second pilot to also go heads down to execute, is better/ safer/ lower workload than using the MCP to fly to final from a base leg. I’m sure there are some but they escape me. As a general rule, fly the plane simply using the most appropriate level of automation to the runway. So what’s the most appropriate level on a base leg with a change to tracking? The MCP in my book.
I agree in principle, but as uplinker said it's not a big deal to extend a centerline when you're given vectors. We've all seen the Children of the Magenta but it's up to us to determine what level of automation is necessary for each occasion. I'm a big fan of "if it's doing what I want it to do I'll leave it alone" and we should all knows our 3x tables so going from VNAV SPD to FLCH for example would have no apparent difference.
I've seen a lot of perfectly good RNP approaches thrown away due to not fully understanding how VNAV works when on vectors. Hint: it still works! I've seen plenty of people hit FLCH at FL200 then sit and follow the VNAV bug down anyway somehow thinking they have more control that way. Each to their own!